News roundup: 1/15 – 1/21

Announcements:

Are you interested in taking a dance class here at Clover Hill? In 2023 Dance Movement 1 will be open to Juniors and Seniors at all dance levels. Come see Mrs. Smith in front of the library Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00-8:20 am for more information!

Are you looking for another elective to complete your schedule for next school year? Consider taking a band class! Instrumental Ensemble (PA-316) is open to students of all levels to learn how to read music and play percussion instruments. See our fliers posted around the school and scan the QR codes for more information! Feel free to come by the Band Room to ask Mrs. Gatch questions. We hope to see you in our program next year!

Those interested in hosting a Japanese exchange student in March should attend a meeting in Mrs. Gladstone’s room 326 on Wednesday, January 18 during Cav AM. We will be pairing up students and giving out important documents at the meeting. If you cannot attend and wish to host, you must see Mrs. Gladstone.

Attention World Travelers & foreign language students! Are you interested in traveling to Spain & Portugal? Did you miss our last informational meeting? If so, Mr. Miller will be hosting another interest meeting during Cav Morning, Friday February 3rd in room 205! You can stop by for a pass before school. See Mr Miller questions!

Want to join Chorus next year? If you are interested in Concert Choir, join our Treble or Mixed Choir – no audition is required! If you are interested in Show Choir or our Advanced Chorus, check out the flyers in the hallways or by the Chorus Room for audition information. We hope you will come sing with us next year!

The next meeting of the Young Conservatives Club will be on Tuesday, January 24 in room 124. See Mr. Remppies if you have any questions.

Last week:

On Wednesday, Jan. 11, the wrestling team competed in a district match at Monacan High School. The girls team won 75-6 over the Chiefs, with a win by freshman Taniya Hubbard. The boys team took down Midlothian 54-22 with wins by sophomore Luke Dibert, freshman Jace DeAngelis, junior Siraj Rock, sophomore Jackson Maggi and senior Braxton Horoschak. 

On Thursday, Jan. 12, the track and field team traveled to Midlothian High School for a district meet. Freshmen Malaysia Rasheed and Kyra Williams took first and second place in the 55 meter dash with times of 7.43 seconds and 7.67 seconds, respectively. Rasheed also finished first in the shot put. Freshman Abby Ellis, junior Penny Rivera, and freshman Anna Jane Molis finished seventh, eighth and tenth in the 1000 meter run. Freshman Kiran Pisolkar finished fourth in the 3200 meter run. Overall, the girls team finished third. 

For the boys team, Senior Chris Henry, freshman Jaliel Clanton and Sean Henry-Mccray claimed the top three spots in the 55 meter dash, with junior Jaidon Gardner, senior Mudassir Abdussalaam and junior Nick Thornton also finishing in the top ten. Thornton also finished fourth in the 300 meter dash, while Henry and Abdussalaam took second and third in the 55 meter hurdles and Clanton and Henry-Mccray finished first and second in the triple jump. Freshman Josh Taylor finished fourth in the 1000 meter run while sophomore Alex Simonetta finished tenth. Senior Ben Schneider and junior Kerem Altunisik finished third and sixth in the 3200 meter run, respectively. Junior Sean Selfe and sophomore Sam Hopkins finished second and third in the high jump. Junior Charles Edmonds III was fourth in the shot put. The team finished second overall, missing out on first place to Midlothian by only 3 points.

The track and field team also competed in the Virginia Showcase in Virginia Beach, one of the largest meets in the country, on Friday, Jan. 13 and Saturday, Jan. 14 at the Virginia Beach Sports Center. For the girls team, Malaysia Rasheed finished 83 in the 55 meter dash, Kyra Williams finished 62 in the 300 meter dash with a season best time and junior Torie Satterwhtie took 161 in the 300 meter dash.

For the boys team, Henry, Clanton, Henry-Mccray, Gardner and Abdussalaam secured season bests in the 55 meter dash, with Henry, Clanton and Henry-Mccray finishing in the top 100. Henry-Mccray and Clanton also finished in the top 100 in the 300 meter dash, while Gardner earned a personal best in the same event. In the 1000 meter run, junior Andrew Ellingson finished eightieth overall with a time of 2:47.66. Senior Andrew Bennett and junior Caleb Wilcox competed in the invitational mile, finishing at places 29 and 41 overall with times of 4:32.99 and 4:27.45 respectively. Bennett and Wilcox also finished in the top 50 in the 1500 meter run with times of 4:13.50 and 4:10.76. In the open mile, senior Clinton Clancy finished forty-sixth overall with a new personal best at 4:38.13. Freshman Ethan Thorne qualified for the state meet in the two mile with his time of 9:54.22, a new personal record that earned him thirty-eighth place. The 4 x 800 meter relay team consisting of Bennett, Wilcox, Clancy and Ellingson finished fifth overall in a state qualifying time of 8:17.65. In the long jump, sophomore Nathan McCrea finished tenth overall. In the triple jump, Clanton and McCrea took positions 22 and 25, respectively. 

The swim team competed in a meet at SwimRVA on Saturday, Jan. 13, at which they honored their seniors: Jacob Boyce, Sydney Ingram, John Mcgowan, Tatum Pratt, Emmett Radgowski and Carter Ramkey.

Four students earned places in the Greater Richmond High School Jazz Band: sophomore Josh Wiseman for tenor saxophone, junior Seth Williams for trombone, senior Maddox Bruce for trombone and sophomore Luri Lee for piano.

This week:

Monday (1/16):

This is a student and staff holiday for Martin Luther King Junior day.

Tuesday (1/17):

The track and field team will compete in a district meet at Powhatan High School, starting at 4 p.m. 

The girls basketball teams will play against James River on the road. The junior varsity game will start at 5:45 p.m. while the varsity game will start at 7:15 p.m. 

Wednesday (1/18):

The library will hold Workshop Wednesday during Cav morning. It will be a card-making workshop. Students can sign up and get a pass in the library.

There will be an interest meeting for the robotics club during Cav Morning in room 440.

There will be a meeting about hosting Japanese exchange students in room 326 during Cav morning.

The library is holding this month’s books and bites during all four lunches. The theme is sci-fi and dystopian.

The National Honor Society will hold a meeting after school in the auditorium. 

The wrestling team will compete against Douglas Freeman on the road. 

The boys basketball teams will play against James River at home. The junior varsity game will start at 5:45 p.m. while the varsity game will start at 7:15 p.m. 

There will be a meeting of the film club after school in room 329. The club will be watching “The Fablemans,” and all students are welcome to attend.

Thursday (1/19):

The biology club will meet before school at 7:45 a.m outside of door 11. Anyone who wishes to attend should dress according to the weather.

The Medford basketball team will take on Monacan at 11:30 a.m. in the gym. The theme will be green and gold.

The girls basketball teams will play against L.C. Bird at home. The junior varsity game will start at 5:45 p.m. while the varsity game will start at 7:15 p.m. 

The swim and dive team will compete in a meet at SwimRVA. It starts at 6 p.m.

The junior varsity wrestling team will compete in a match at New Kent High School, beginning at 6 p.m. 

Friday (1/20):

The show choir will rehearse in the auditorium after school.

The boys basketball teams will play against L.C. Bird on the road. The junior varsity game will start at 5:45 p.m. while the varsity game will start at 7:15 p.m. 

Saturday (1/21):

There will be a Chesterfield County Public Schools job fair in the building from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Sports scores:

Girls varsity basketball vs. Prince George: 53-44 win (Jan. 9)

Girls varsity basketball vs. George Wythe: 51-45 win (Jan. 10)

Boys varsity basketball at George Wythe: 65-54 win (Jan. 11)

Boys varsity basketball at Huguenot: 76-50 win (Jan. 13)

Varsity sports record update:

Boys basketball: 3-8

Girls basketball: 3-9

In the community:

A crowd held a rally at Monroe Park in Richmond on Saturday, Jan. 14 in support of better treatment for Virginia’s incarcerated. It was the sixth annual Virginia Prison Justice Rally, which fights for parole and earned sentence credit, increased outside oversight of prisons and jails, more options for resentencing and an end or reduction of solitary confinement. The rally coincides with the introduction of State Bill 87, which would put the maximum amount of time that someone can spend in solitary confinement at 15 days.