News roundup: 2/13 – 2/17

News roundup: 2/13 - 2/17

Announcements:

From now until Feb. 14, students can guess how many chocolate kisses are in the vase, and whoever is closest will win the contest. The winner receives all the candy and a teddy bear on Valentine’s Day. See Mr. Miller in room 205 before school to make a guess. Each guess costs 50 cents and all proceeds go to the badminton club.

Attention world travelers and foreign language students! Are you interested in traveling to Spain & Portugal? Did you miss the in-school informational meeting last Friday? If so, please stop by room 205 to grab a flier from Mr. Miller! Our next meeting will be held virtually on Thursday, Feb. 16, but you must register to attend. Hope to see you there!

Do you love stickers and original works of art? Come support NAHS in our new Sticker Store fundraiser. Original student artwork will be available to purchase as stickers from 8 to 8:30 a.m. in front of the library and during fourth lunches from Tuesday, Feb. 14 through Friday, Feb. 17. All stickers under $3. Cash only.

Throughout the month of February, Clover Hill art students will plan out and paint murals around the school. There will be three to four murals with Art 4 students working together to bring them to life. The artists will create and agree on ideas, some coming from teachers in the building and others from the artists themselves. Once the artists have prepared, they will project the designs onto the wall, sketch them and start painting them.  

Last week:

The swim and dive team competed in their regional meet.

The speech and debate team competed at the 5C regional tournament at Cosby High School. Five students finished in the top three in their events and advanced to the 5C and 5D super regional competition at Cosby on Feb. 25. Clover Hill placed third as a school. 

The wrestling team competed in their regional tournament, which Clover Hill hosted, on Feb. 11. Seven wrestlers finished in the top six in their weight class. Two wrestlers, senior Amaree Weathers and sophomore Luke Dibert, advanced to states by finishing in the top four. 

Sophomore Josh Wiseman earned entrance into the governor’s school for performing arts on the saxophone.

Clover Hill Indoor Percussion (CHIP) earned first place in their first competition of the year.

This week:

Monday (2/13):

Mu Alpha Theta will meet after school in rooms 415 and 417.

The counselors will meet with health and PE classes to discuss scheduling. 

The Beta club induction ceremony will take place at 6:30 p.m. Students should arrive at 6 p.m. and dress in business attire. 

The girls basketball teams will play against Huguenot at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

Tuesday (2/14):

Clover Hill will celebrate Valentine’s Day with candy grams and the reveal of the winner of the jar of chocolates guessing contest.

The German club will meet after school in Mr. Remppies’s room to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

The track and field team will compete in the first day of regionals at Highland Springs high school. The first day will feature preliminaries for sprint and field events, as well as the 4 by 800 meter relay. 

Wednesday (2/15):

The film club will meet in room 329 after school to watch “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.” All students are welcome to attend.

The badminton club will meet from 3-4 p.m. after school.

The Latin club will meet from 3-4 p.m. after school in room 113 to decorate cupcakes and make cards for local nursing homes. 

Cavs For Christ will meet at 8:10 a.m. in Room 423. All are welcome to join.

Thursday (2/16):

The track and field team will compete in the second day of regionals at Highland Springs high school. The second day will feature finals for sprint and field events as well as the distance events. 

There will be a band pre-assessment concert in the auditorium from 4-10 p.m.

Cursive Club will have a meeting after school in Mr. Goobic’s room. 

Friday (2/17):

There will be a rehearsal for the National Honor Society induction ceremony from 3-4 p.m. in the auditorium. 

Saturday (2/18):

Clover Hill will host the Mid-Atlantic Show Choir Spectacular. It starts at 7 a.m. and goes until 10 p.m. 

Sports scores:

Boys varsity basketball at James River: 79-77 loss (Feb. 6)

Girls varsity basketball vs. Cosby: 55-25 loss (Feb. 7)

Boys varsity basketball at Cosby: 61-58 loss (Feb. 8)

Girls varsity basketball at George Wythe: 48-21 win (Feb. 9)

Boys varsity basketball vs. George Wythe: 72-62 loss (Feb. 9)

Varsity sports record updates:

Boys basketball: 4-18

Girls basketball: 4-15

In the community:

Metro Richmond’s Covid totals remain medium while numbers went down recently across the Commonwealth, according to the Virginia Department of Health. The seven day positivity rate decreased to 16.68%, new cases went down 15% and 73.7% of people are fully vaccinated. Richmond’s ranking is in the middle, between low and high. Only four localities in all of Virginia, including Prince Edward in central Virginia, are listed as having high levels of COVID-19 transmission, which comes with an indoor masking recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This is a decrease from 16 localities last week.