Forensics team wins third place at regionals

Gunter, Matzen and Bennett stand with their medals earned for finishing in the top three in their events.

Cabot Butts

On Saturday, Feb. 11, the forensics team competed in the Virginia High School League (VHSL) region 5C forensics tournament at Cosby High School. The Cavs placed third as a team, and five speakers placed in the top three in their events to advance to the region 5C and 5D super regional competition on 2/25 at Cosby.

Senior Cassidy Gunter was second in storytelling, senior Laurel Bennett placed first in serious dramatic interpretation, freshman Julia Herald was second in humorous interpretation, senior Maggie Matzen earned third in original oratory and Yaseen Khalafalla was third in extemporaneous speaking.

In addition, the team had several members earn alternate positions in their respective events for the next competition. Junior Randy Ashie is the second alternate in extemporaneous speaking, sophomore Matthew Wang is the first alternate in impromtu speaking and freshman Shayni Gogineni is the second alternate in serious dramatic interpretation.

The debate team with coach Hunter Clark at the regional competition. (Cabot Butts)