Clover Hill hosts regional wrestling competition, seven Cavaliers make finals

Ben Schneider

Jace DeAngelis attempts to pin his opponent during his finals match for the 120 pound division.

On Saturday, Feb. 11, Clover Hill High School served as the site of the Virginia High School League (VHSL) region 5C championship wrestling competition.

Mats with Clover Hill logos covered the gym floor as athletes wrestled each other from 10 a.m. in the morning until beyond 5 p.m. in the evening. The earlier part of the day featured a tournament style competition that culminated in the final round starting around 5 p.m., when athletes competed against each other for first, third and fifth place. The losers of those matches received second, fourth and sixth place.

The Cavs had seven wrestlers finish in the top six in their weight class and earn the right to compete in the final round. Sophomore Luke Didert finished fourth in the 106 pound division, freshman Jace DeAngelis was sixth for 120 pounds, senior Amaree Weathers was third for 126 pounds, sophomore Jayden Rivera was fifth for 138 pounds, junior Siraj Rock was fifth for 144 pounds, sophomore Kaiden Webb was fifth for 157 pounds and senior Braxton Horoschak. In addition, several other wrestlers finished outside the top six in their categories.

Weathers and Dibert advanced to the state competition by finishing in the top four, while the other five top finishers will serve as alternates.