Michalek tosses perfect game in Baseball’s final regular season matchup

Junior+Conner+Powell+went+1-1+with+a+double+and+a+hit-by-pitch+before+being+pinch+hit+for+in+the+third+inning.+

Junior Conner Powell went 1-1 with a double and a hit-by-pitch before being pinch hit for in the third inning.

Senior Andrew Michalek threw a perfect game on Thursday, May 18 to lead the Cavaliers past the George Wythe Bulldogs, 13-0. Michalek struck out 14, including the final batter of the game, to give the Cavs the victory in their final regular season game. 

After Michalek retired the side in the top of the first inning on three strikeouts, the Cavs fired up their offense with two outs in their half of the frame. Junior Connor Powell lined a double into the right-center field gap, and junior Preston Corbitt then drove Powell in with a line drive single to the right fielder. Corbitt would then advance to second after a fielding error by the right fielder and score on a double by junior Liam Stewart.

The Cavaliers then notched five more runs in the fourth inning. The big inning was led by walks by freshman Owen Tingen and junior Liam Robertson and errors on balls put in play by freshman Carson Hupp and sophomore Lucas Rose. The fourth inning saw the Cavalier lead stretch to its final score of 13-0.

In a shortened five-inning game due to the slaughter rule, Michalek threw just 65 pitches in his bid of perfection, surrendering no hits, no runs and no walks with no Cavalier errors. Michalek followed his first inning strike total when he struck out the side again in the second, third and fifth innings.

Seniors Nick Dodge and Daniel Piazza, as well as Stewart, Corbitt, Powell and freshman Luke Kincaid each managed one hit to lead the Cavs, who collected six on the day with 11 walks. 

The win boosted the Cavaliers’ record to 6-14. Their next game is scheduled to be in the first round of the Region 5C Tournament. Their opponent, venue and game time is still yet to be announced.