Former Cavalier Chronicle editors reflect on times at the Hill and discuss current plans

Graduate Kimberly González proudly holds her diploma.

As students adjust to the novel and unexpected events of this year, the senior class of 2020 are not only adjusting to college and life after high school but are beginning a new chapter of their lives, complete with a very “2020” twist. Members of Clover Hill’s class of 2020 express their post-secondary experiences and highlight their Clover Hill memories and expectations for the future.

Kimberly Gonzalez: former Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Cavalier Chronicle

1. Are you going to college? If you are, what college are you going to currently, and how is college life?

I am in college. I attend the University of Virginia! I have been here for a little over a month, and so far, it has been really fun! Before entering college, I had heard from [many individuals] that meeting people and getting accustomed to college life and independence, in general, is difficult, but I have found it not necessarily easy, but enjoyable. There are some days when I miss a structured school day compared to having classes ranging from 8 A.M. to 7 P.M., but most days are pretty productive. My biggest fear before coming to college was making friends, which is stressful enough, but a pandemic adds a whole burden to it. [However,] I have met some really great people in my dorm building and in virtual club meetings, and there are lots of fun things to do outdoors and socially distanced in Charlottesville, so it has been a pleasant experience given the circumstances.

2. How has the coronavirus affected your transition into adulthood and post-secondary life?

Much like everyone else living during this [abnormal] time, COVID-19 has completely changed my life and plans. All the senior festivities I was looking forward to [when I was at the Hill] did not happen how I had envisioned [throughout high school], and I spent countless hours glued to a screen trying to make the time go by faster in isolation. When I finally accepted the fact that my senior year was officially over, the harsh reality that the pandemic was not going to be over by August set in. I learned that classes at UVA were going to be completely online for the fall semester, and move-in was not guaranteed. I did eventually end up moving in, two weeks after the original date, but college life in a pandemic still feels surreal sometimes.

3. What are your significant memories from your years at Clover Hill High School, and what do you miss looking back?

I actually did not attend Clover Hill for my first two years of high school, so it was a strange transition to make during junior year. I did genuinely enjoy my two years there and met some amazing people. My most memorable experience at the Hill was definitely being a part of the Cavalier Chronicle staff. I was accidentally placed in that class instead of a sociology class, and thank goodness for it! Writing and editing for the newspaper enabled me with the essential writing skills and actually helped me focus on what I wanted to pursue as a career: human rights journalism.

Graduate Emma Levon poses proudly with her diploma in hand.

Emma Levon: former Co-Editor-In-Chief of the Cavalier Chronicle

I am attending college and going to Virginia Tech. College has definitely been different than expected due to the coronavirus – all of my classes are online, masks are required everywhere, and there aren’t many events going on campus. There are lots of new rules in order to avoid the spread of the coronavirus, and it can be really hard to meet new people sometimes because of it. I’m very glad that I was able to be on campus though and get to have a [physical] college experience, even though this year is not how I hoped my college experience would be when I was in high school.

2. How has the coronavirus affected your transition into adulthood and post-secondary school life?

The coronavirus has definitely impacted my transition from high school to adulthood. It’s difficult not being able to really see and meet new people and make connections with professors. Even now, I wonder how I will get involved with research or getting potential recommendations for internships or jobs. Beyond this, they discourage me from going home and seeing my family. Overall, the transition is more stressful with the virus because it feels like you have to figure a lot more things all by yourself.

Some significant memories from the past four years that I miss would definitely be performing in show choir competitions and cheering at the football games. These are definitely experiences that I miss along with seeing my friends from high school that are currently going to other colleges.

Even though college life for the class of 2020 has not gone entirely according to plan, they are finding ways to make connections and enjoy life, while adhering to virus regulations. 

Photo Courtesy to Emma Levon and Kimberly González.