Homecoming traditions return to the Hill after pandemic hiatus

Clover Hill's SCA

Jamie Chapman and Dylan Newman dress up as Darth Vader (Left) and a Sloth (Right) for Fandom Day. Picture By: Ayathi Gogineni

Oct. 4 marked the start of Clover Hill’s anticipated spirit week and homecoming dance, which has the theme of ‘garden party’. 

On Monday students wore pajamas, then switched it up on Tuesday to support their favorite teams for fandom day. Wednesday was Country versus Country Club Day, which showed interesting takes on the theme from students in every grade level. Thursday was designated for throwback, in which students wore clothing and apparel from many previous decades. Lastly, Friday was class color day, where each grade level represented a different school color, with freshmen wearing white, gold being sophomores, juniors wore green and then seniors wearing their togas.     

Art teacher Haley Ferguson is this year’s homecoming sponsor and is very appreciative of the opportunity to be sponsoring the events.

“I am so glad to be able to get back some school spirit, and to be hosting events for [the] students again,” Ferguson said.   

After a rough year of virtual learning and an early start to this school year, spirit week could not have come at a better time for everyone at Clover Hill. 

Ferguson also provided great details on everything that occurred over the course of the week, including the pre-Homecoming events that happened.

“Friday [was] a Powder Puff for juniors and seniors in the morning, then a pep rally [outside at the football stadium] for everyone at the end of the day,” Ferguson said. “We also [had] a tailgate before the game from 5:30-6:30 on Friday, then our Homecoming [football] game at 7.”

Junior class vice president Alena Johnson was also excited about the upcoming homecoming dance and spirit week.

The [overall] spirit week and how you get to dress up during it just makes school a lot more fun and exciting,” Johnson said. 

While the majority of students are back in the building, COVID-19 is still a real and prominent issue in the world and made it hard for these spirit weeks to happen last year, especially before homecoming. 

For the sophomores and freshman, this [was] their first time truly experiencing a spirit week or pep rally in high school and it goes the same for sophomore Ibrahim Khalid. 

“I [was] excited for homecoming week because it [was] an experience [underclassmen] did not get last year,” Khalid said. “I am probably most excited for the spirit week activities because it is something that everyone can be a part of.”

Johnson and Khalid were both looking forward to the fun spirit week dress-up tasks; however, while spirit week is a favored part of homecoming, dances bring out the best in everyone, with people enjoying themselves and hanging out with their pals. 

“I was fairly unchanged by the decision of homecoming being cancelled… but now that it is back on I am glad,” Khalid said. 

Luckily, for Khalid and other Cavalier students, the Homecoming Dance is back on with an official date on Oct. 16. 

Tickets were sold this week with a price of $10 per person. On Monday, juniors and seniors were able to have priority to buy tickets during lunch; however, for everyone else, tickets were also sold Tuesday through Thursday during lunch as well.    

Last week of school was always very special and enjoyable for both students and staff, as each individual had a pep in their step when they strided around in the halls. If it is the homecoming dance, spirit week, or football game students enjoy most; it does not matter because Spirit Week 2021 at the Hill was and one action-packed week filled with many memories and loud school spirit.