News Roundup: 10/23 – 10/29

Announcements:

Clover Hill is looking for families to host Japanese exchange students for a few months in March – see Mrs. Gladstone in room 326.

Clover Hill’s literary magazine, Paths of Clover, is now accepting submissions from students. This year’s theme is nostalgia. Anyone with writing or art to submit is welcome to do so via tinyurl.com/CHHSpaths23.

The Green Hot Chili Peppers Pep Ensemble is seeking wind, string, and rhythm players. The group performs at varsity basketball home games during Dec., Jan. and Feb. Interested students can see the fliers posted around the school or talk to Mrs. Gatch in the band room for information on how to join.

Rehearsals for Theater on the Hill’s upcoming school play, Get Smart, will take place throughout the week. 

Clover Hill is currently accepting coat donations for the Pink Flamingo Coat Drive. Students can bring gently used coats to room 325 until Wednesday, Oct. 26. The coats can be any size. 

Tickets to the talent show will be on sale during all lunches on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Any student who wants to go to the show must purchase a ticket this week as they will not be sold at the door. Tickets cost $7. Even day tech center students can buy tickets during Cav morning on Tuesday in room 313 and Thursday in room 307.

Last week:

The Marching Cavaliers won the title of grand champions at the Tournament of Champions competition.

Paths of Clover (the literary magazine) and the Cavalier Chronicle were awarded second class from VHSL for their work last school year.

Caroline Holmes of the Cavalettes and Brayden Berardo of boys volleyball won athlete of the month.

Haley Ferguson was awarded October Teacher of the Month.

Boys cross country won the Dominion District meet on Tuesday, Oct. 18, during which both the boys and girls teams held their senior nights.

Clover Hill participated in the Great ShakeOut earthquake drill at 10:20 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 20. 

The choral department performed its fall concert on Oct. 20. The Cavalier Chorus, Iridescence, Acropolis, and New Dimensions each sang two songs they have worked on for the first two months of school. 

The debate team participated in a competition at Cosby High School.

This week:

Monday (10/24):

Beta Club is holding a meeting during Cav morning in the auditorium.

Senior parking spot painting will take place after school.

The Math/Sci open house for 8th grade students and their families will be held from 5-9 p.m.

Varsity and JV field hockey play games against Powhatan High School at River City Sportsplex. JV’s game starts at 4 p.m. and varsity starts at 5:30 p.m.

Boys volleyball plays against Prince George at home. JV starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity plays at 7 p.m.

Tuesday (10/25):

Orchestra is rehearsing in the auditorium after school. 

Boys basketball is holding a conditioning practice from 3:15-4:15 p.m. in the gym.

Herff Jones representatives will be at school from 3:30-7 p.m. to take orders of class rings and jackets for juniors and seniors. The options are on their website, and students and parents can use the website to book a time for an in-person appointment.

The volleyball teams play against Cosby, with the girls playing at Cosby and the boys playing at home. JV plays at 5:45 p.m. and varsity plays at 7 p.m. 

Wednesday (10/26):

Orchestra will perform a concert at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

Herff Jones will return to the school to once again take junior and senior orders from 3:30-7 p.m.

SOL testing from 9-10 a.m.

Cavs for Christ will meet at 8 a.m. in room 423. 

The fall guitar concert will take place in the auditorium at 2 p.m. 

The National Art Honor Society will hold a meeting in the courtyard outside of room 005 from 3-5 p.m. 

The German club will meet in room 124 for a pumpkin decorating contest. Interested students can see Herr Remppies in room 124 for more details.

Thursday (10/27):

Boys basketball will hold a conditioning practice in the gym from 3:15-4:15 p.m. 

Girls varsity volleyball faces off against George Wythe at home at 7 p.m. 

JV Football game vs. Monacan at Monacan High School.

Girls soccer will have a kickaround practice after school until 5 p.m. Players need a completed physical to attend.

The Science National Honor Society is holding a meeting after school at 3:10 p.m. in room 328. At this meeting, they will build paper airplanes and test their designs in friendly competition. All members are encouraged to attend, and each needs to go to at least one meeting per semester. 

Friday (10/28):

It is a half day.

Underclassmen will have the opportunity to take make-up pictures in the auditorium during the school day. 

Varsity Football game vs. Monacan at Clover Hill High School. $10 for admission.

The first quarter ends.

Saturday (10/29):

There will be a craft fair in the gym from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

There will be a Marching Band assessment at Hermitage High School. The band will perform at 12:45 p.m.

Sports scores:

Varsity Field Hockey at Cosby: 3-0 loss (Oct. 17)

Varsity Field Hockey vs. James River: 2-0 loss (Oct. 19)

Varsity Field Hockey at Monacan: 1-0 loss (Oct. 20)

JV Field Hockey at Cosby: 6-0 loss (Oct. 17)

JV Field Hockey vs. James River: 0-0 tie (Oct. 19)

JV Field Hockey vs. Monacan: 2-0 loss (Oct. 20)

Girls Varsity Volleyball vs. Monacan: 3-1 win (Oct. 18)

Girls Varsity Volleyball at Powhatan: 3-0 loss (Oct. 20)

Boys Varsity Volleyball at Monacan: 3-1 loss (Oct. 18)

Boys Varsity Volleyball vs. Norfolk Christian: 3-1 loss (Oct. 19)

JV Football at James River: 40-39 win (Oct. 20)

Varsity Football vs. James River: 55-14 loss (Oct. 21)

Varsity sports record updates:

Boys Volleyball: 5-10

Girls Volleyball: 8-8

Football: 2-5

Field Hockey: 1-10

In the community:

Chesterfield County Public Schools will receive nearly ten million dollars to use on air quality upgrades from a grant by the county using federal COVID-19 relief funds. $1.7 million will go towards ultraviolet disinfectant lights at 12 schools, and the other $7.8 million will replace the air conditioning units at James River High School. These upgrades address the concern that arose from the discovery of Legionella bacteria at seven schools. 

Chesterfield County will rename Enon Library after civil rights leader Dr. Wyatt Tee Walker. He was the chief of staff to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the executive director of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Walker spent much of his life living in Chesterfield County, and he died in 2018 at the age of 89. The county has a plan to replace the library with a new building, also named after Walker, that they will carry out if voters approve it in a referendum in the election on Nov. 8.