News Roundup: 1/8 – 1/14

Announcements:

Students and parents are needed to volunteer to work the concession stand at home sporting events. The money from concessions supports the athletic programs. Volunteers can sign up for boys basketball, girls basketball and wrestling

Any students who want to ride a different bus must bring in a note with their name and phone number as well as the bus’s number and route number by 10 a.m. on the day they want to change buses.

In 2023, Dance Movement 1 will be open to Juniors and Seniors at all dance levels. See Mrs. Smith in front of the library Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00-8:20 a.m. for more information.

Casting call for Photo Wonderland Student Film. The animation class is seeking Asian cast members to portray a mother, father and daughter figure in a film. They are hosting open auditions during Cav Morning in room 101 Monday 1/9 and Tuesday 1/10.

Last week:

40 students earned acceptance into the district band, setting a school record for the most in a single year. Of these students, 18 are eligible for the all-Virginia state band. 

All four students who auditioned for the Central Regional Orchestra were accepted. Ryan Chen received 11th chair, 1st violin in the A orchestra. Lydia Joh earned 16th chair, 1st violin in the A orchestra. Adelynn Tuck received 6th chair, 1st violin in the B orchestra. Parker Parker earned 1st chair cello in the B orchestra.

The swim team competed in a meet at SwimRVA on Saturday, Jan. 7.

Junior Addison Thompson committed to the University of Virginia for softball. 

Senior Andrew Bennett, freshman Ethan Thorne and freshman Josh Taylor made the all-metro cross country team.

Senior Maggie Matzen received the Academic All-American award for speech and debate. She is one of less than two percent of speech and debate students who earn this award.

Juniors Lauren Ferrell and Saanvi Jha earned first place at the District Leadership Conference for DECA. Junior Eno Asubonteng received 8th place. These students each qualified for the DECA State Leadership Conference.

The literary magazine, Paths of Clover, won a first place designation in their bracket for 2022.

This week:

Monday (1/9):

The girls basketball teams will play against Prince George at home. Junior varsity starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m. 

Tuesday (1/10):

The Math/Sci junior breakfast will take place in the forum during Cav Morning.

The German club officers will meet during Cav Morning in room 121 to plan out meetings for the second semester. 

The girls basketball teams will play against George Wythe at home. Junior varsity starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m. 

The junior varsity wrestling team will participate in a competition against multiple schools at Mills E. Godwin high school.

Wednesday (1/11):

The varsity wrestling team will compete against Monacan on the road.

The boys basketball teams will play against George Wythe on the road. Junior varsity starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m.

Cavs for Christ will meet this Wednesday morning at 8:10 a.m. in Room 423.

Thursday (1/12):

The track and field team will compete in a district meet at Midlothian High School.

The girls basketball teams will play against Huguenot at home. Junior varsity starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m. 

Friday (1/13):

The boys basketball teams will play against Huguenot on the road. Junior varsity starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m.

Saturday (1/14): 

The track and field team will compete at the Virginia Showcase meet in Virginia Beach.

The swim and dive team will compete in a meet at SwimRVA in Richmond. It starts at 8 a.m.

The varsity wrestling team will take on Appomattox County High School on the road. It starts at 10 a.m. 

Sports scores:

Girls varsity basketball at Powhatan: 53-22 loss (Jan. 3)

Boys varsity basketball vs. Powhatan: 57-53 loss (Jan. 4)

Girls varsity basketball at Cosby: 74-37 loss (Jan. 5)

Boys varsity basketball vs. Cosby: 55-44 loss (Jan. 6)

Varsity sports records:

Girls basketball: 1-9

Boys basketball: 1-8

In the community:

The Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU is working with project ADAM to help Virginia schools gather the resources to prepare to respond to cardiac arrest emergencies. It is the first partnership that project ADAM has in Virginia; they currently have 38 programs in 29 states.

COVID-19 numbers are increasing across the greater Richmond area, though it is still lower than this time the last two years according to the Richmond-Henrico Health District.