News roundup: 2/6 – 2/10

News roundup: 2/6 - 2/10

Announcements:

To celebrate National Kindness Month, Cavs Connect created a calendar that includes a daily challenge for spreading kindness throughout the entire month of February. To keep up with the challenge, look for the yellow and green calendars hung up in the hallways!

Hey Cavs! Come compete against your classmates to see who will win the Vase of chocolate kisses and teddy bear for Valentine’s Day! Pay 50 cents per guess on how many sweets are in the Vase. Whoever guesses the number closest to the actual number wins! See Mr. Miller in room 205 before school, from now until February 14th to make a guess. Winners will be announced on Valentine’s Day! All proceeds go to the Badminton Club!

The Robotics Club will meet in room 440 on Tuesdays during CAV Morning and every other Monday after school beginning on February 6th.

To send a Valentine’s Day candy gram to another student, bring either a donation for the food pantry or a gently used clothing item for a future service project. Students can bring donations to the front of the library before school and during all lunches from Tuesday to Friday. If possible, students should have the name of the first block teacher of the student they are sending a candy gram to.

Soccer season is right around the corner. Clover Hill Girls Soccer has kickarounds every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday after school. Make plans to join us. See Mr. Anderson or Mr. Monroe for further information.

Want to send a sweet to your sweetheart? Bring in a canned food item in exchange for one candygram! You can send them to anyone in the school. Donations will be accepted from 8 to 8:30 a.m. in front of the library and during all lunches until Friday, Feb. 10. Candygrams will be delivered during 1st block on Valentine’s Day.

Throughout the month of February, Clover Hill art students will plan out and paint murals around the school. There will be three to four murals with Art 4 students working together to bring them to life. The artists will create and agree on ideas, some coming from teachers in the building and others from the artists themselves. Once the artists have prepared, they will project the designs onto the wall, sketch them and start painting them.

Last week:

The Medford basketball team defeated Cosby in a rivalry matchup at home by a final score of 28-18. 

The Cavalettes hosted the seventh annual Kelly Green Invitational. The team did not compete, but they did help host the event for nine other schools. 

The football team began their off-season conditioning, which will continue from Monday to Thursday after school from 3:10 to 6 p.m. every week. 

The school hosted a debate and forensics tournament, the Groundhog Classic, on Saturday, Feb. 4. Every Clover Hill debater had a winning record. 4 students won awards in their categories; sophomore Matthew Wang was second in impromtu speaking, junior Randy Ashie was third in student congress, and freshman Peter Appleton and Drew Haskin were third in novice public forum debate.

Senior Clinton Clancy and junior Andrew Hathaway qualified for the indoor track state meet in the 3200 meter run and 500 meter dash, respectively, at the East Coast Invitational in Virginia Beach on Saturday. Clancy finished in 9:54 and Hathaway finished in 1:08. The team also had top finishes from Chris Henry at 25th in the 55 meter dash, Mccray and Henry at 10th and 12th in the 200 meter dash, Hathaway at 24th in the 1000 meter run, Sean Selfe at 8th in the high jump, Nathan McCrea at 11th in the long jump and 14th in the triple jump, and Torie Satterwhite at 16th in the 300 meter dash. 

40 Cavaliers attended the all-district band event at James River high school, where they practiced and performed alongside all-district members from other schools. 

This week:

Monday (2/6):

The Robotics club will meet after school in room 440. 

The boys basketball teams will play against James River on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. This is a rescheduled game from Jan. 9. 

Tuesday (2/7):

The Robotics club will meet during Cav morning in room 440. 

The National Art Honor Society is holding an informational meeting after school from 3:00-3:30 p.m. in the fishbowl. 

The girls basketball teams will play against Cosby at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m.

Wednesday (2/8):

There will be a band rehearsal in the auditorium from 3-6 p.m. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Cosby on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 6 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:30 p.m.

Workshop Wednesday will have a guest webcomic author coming in during Cav Morning to teach the creation of design dynamic and interesting characters. Sign up is at the library. Spaces are limited.

Cavs For Christ will meet at 8:10 a.m. in Room 423.

Thursday (2/9):

The girls basketball teams will play against George Wythe on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m.

The boys basketball teams will play against George Wythe at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m.

Allies club will have a meeting during Cav Morning in the library.

Friday (2/10):

Tri-M will meet at 8 a.m. in the orchestra room. 

The wrestling team will compete in the region tournament at 5 p.m. 

Saturday (2/11):

The wrestling team will continue in the region tournament at 10 a.m. 

Sports scores:

Boys varsity basketball vs. Glen Allen: 66-48 loss (Jan. 30)

Girls varsity basketball at Monacan: 59-20 loss (Jan. 31)

Boys varsity basketball vs. Monacan: 69-59 loss (Feb. 1)

Boys varsity basketball at Powhatan: 75-66 loss (Feb. 3)

Varsity sports record updates:

Girls basketball: 3-14

Boys basketball: 4-15

In the community:

3 students at James Madison University, two of whom are from the Richmond area, died in a car accident on Thursday, Feb. 2. 

Chesterfield County is partnering with Virginia State University to celebrate Black History Month with programs around the theme of Uniting Today for a Better Tomorrow. The programs will celebrate history and community and take place at Chesterfield’s museums, recreation centers and libraries. A full list of events is available here