News roundup: 2/20 – 2/24

News roundup: 2/20 - 2/24

Announcements:

Do you love stickers and original works of art? Come support NAHS in our new Sticker Store fundraiser. Original student artwork will be available to purchase as stickers from 8-8:30 in front of the library and during 4th lunches from Tuesday Feb. 14th- Friday, Feb. 17th. All stickers under $3. Cash only.

Last week:

The boys basketball team beat Douglas Freeman in the first round of the region 5C playoffs by a score of 55-54. The number 10 seeded Cavs came back in the fourth quarter to upset the number 7 seeded Mavericks on the road. Sophomore Brandon Hill and junior Mikea Lewis shared Cavalier Chronicle player of the game honors. The team will face the Highland Springs Springers in the quarterfinals on Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m. at Highland Springs High School.

Clover Hill hosted the Mid-Atlantic Show Choir Spectacular on Saturday, Feb. 18. Show choirs from around the region came to the school to compete against each other. The Clover Hill show choir performed but did not compete. 

The indoor track and field team competed in the region 5C championship meet at Highland Springs High School on Tuesday, Feb. 14 and Thursday, Feb. 16. The boys team earned third overall while the girls took eleventh. For the boys, senior Chris Henry finished second in the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.59 seconds. Henry was also sixth in the 55 meter hurdles. In the 300 meter dash, junior Sean Henry-McCray was sixth and junior Andrew Hathaway was eighth. Hathaway also finished third in the 500 meter dash. In the 1000 meter run, senior Andrew Bennett finished seventh, freshman Josh Taylor finished tenth and junior Andrew Ellingson finished 16th. In the 1600 meter run, junior Caleb Wilcox was fourth, senior Clinton Clancy was sixth and Bennett was seventh. In the 3200 meter run, Wilcox finished third, freshman Ethan Thorne finished fifth and Clancy finished sixth. In the high jump, junior Sean Selfe finished third and sophomore Sam Hopkins finished eighth. Sophomore Nathan Mccrea took sixth in the long jump and fifth in the triple jump. In the shot put, senior Vincent Shelah was 12th and junior Charles Edmonds was 17th. Finally, the 4 by 800 meter relay consisting of Bennett, Wilcox, Hathaway and Clancy earned first place with a time of 8:06.07.

For the girls team, freshman Malaysia Rasheed finished seventh in the 55 meter dash while freshman Kyra Williams was 11th and junior Torie Satterwhite was 14th. Satterwhite also earned 14th in the 300 meter dash; freshman Leilani Johnson took 32nd in the same event. In the 1600 meter run, freshman Abby Ellis finished 21st, freshman Anna Jane Molis finished 22nd and junior Penelope Rivera finished 24th. In the 3200 meter run, freshman Kiran Pisolkar finished 13th. Freshman Gabrielle Williams was 11th in the 55 meter hurdles. Johnson was eighth in the high jump and Rasheed was 11th in the shot put. The 4 by 200 meter relay team consisting of Rasheed, Satterwhite, Williams and Johnson was second.

The winter guard came in second place with a score of 74 points in a competition at Mount Vernon High School. 

This week:

Monday (2/20):

Students and staff will have the day off for President’s Day.

Tuesday (2/21):

This will be an asynchronous learning day for the special election.

The boys basketball team will take on the Highland Springs Springers on the road in the region 5C quarterfinals at 7:30 p.m.

There will be a CVSRA Coach and Referee symposium in the auditorium from 7-9 p.m. 

Wednesday (2/22):

There will be an orchestra pre-assessment concert in the auditorium from 6-10 p.m. Tickets cost $7.

The film club will meet in room 329 to discuss “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” and Oscar buzz. All students are welcome to join.

There will be a meeting of Cavs for Christ at 8:10 a.m. in room 423. All are welcome to join.

Thursday (2/23):

There will be a dual enrollment information session from 9:25-9:55 a.m. in the auditorium.

The NHS induction ceremony will happen in the auditorium at 6:30 p.m. 

There will be a Spanish heritage showcase in the commons at 6:30 p.m. 

Cursive Club will have a meeting after school in Mr. Goobic’s room.

Friday (2/24):

Students on the indoor track and field team who qualified for states will compete at the VHSL class 5 state meet at the Virginia Beach Sports Center. This will be day one.

Saturday (2/25):

Students on the indoor track and field team who qualified for states will compete at the VHSL class 5 state meet at the Virginia Beach Sports Center. This will be day two.

Spring sports tryouts:

Baseball tryouts will run from Feb. 20 to Feb. 24, starting at 3 p.m. and ending at 5:30 p.m. each day. Athletes should meet at the field house.

Softball tryouts will run from Feb. 20 to Feb. 24 and the time will be 3:30-5:50 p.m. Athletes should meet at the softball field.

Girls soccer tryouts will run from Feb. 21 to Feb. 24 starting at 3:30 and ending at 5:30. Athletes should meet at the practice fields behind the school.

Boys soccer tryouts will run from Feb. 21 to Feb. 24 and the time will be 5 p.m. until it is dark. Athletes should meet at the practice fields behind the school. 

Girls lacrosse tryouts will run from Feb. 21 to Feb. 24 and take place at River City Sportsplex from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m.. The field number will be announced later. 

Boys lacrosse tryouts will run from Feb. 22 to Feb. 24 and take place at River City Sportsplex from 3:45 to 5:00 p.m. The field number will be announced later. 

Girls and boys tennis tryouts will take place during the month of February. The date will be announced later. 

Outdoor track starts March 1 at 3:30. Athletes should meet at the track, and they do not have to try out to join.

Sports scores:

Boys varsity basketball at Douglas Freeman: 55-54 win (Feb. 17)

Girls varsity basketball at Midlothian: 65-20 loss (Feb. 17)

Varsity sports record update:

Boys basketball: 5-18

Girls basketball: 4-17

In the community:

On Tuesday, Feb. 21, there will be a special election to fill the open seat for the fourth Congressional district in the House of Representatives. Democrat Jennifer McClellan and Republican Leon Benjamin are vying for the seat, which is open as a result of the passing of Representative Donald McEachin on Nov. 28. 

The Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority will receive over $14 million in grant money to use on affordable housing from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Capital Improvements’ Capital Fund. Virginia will receive around $50 million as a whole.