Cavalier Chronicle catches up with Raza Haider, Thomas Ensley and Chou Chou Cheng

Graduate Raza Haider and other former seniors show school spirit by wearing togas.

Raza Haider: former volleyball player and officer in the Science Honors National Society.

Are you going to college? If you are, what college are you going to currently and how is college life?

Yes, I am going to Virginia Commonwealth University, or VCU, and college life is quite fun. I see many individuals in the parks after classes, especially in Monroe Park. However, college life has definitely been restricted, but for the people who chose to live on campus, like myself, it allowed us to become closer to the people within our dorm buildings.

Haider celebrates his induction into the National Honor Society with his parents.

How has the coronavirus affected your transition into adulthood and post-secondary school life?

COVID-19 has definitely implemented new aspects of transitioning into adulthood, such as not being able to meet my college professors in person and therefore bonds being limited to lectures through the computer screen. However, it also has made us more flexible as we have adapted to all of these changes in a single semester.

What are your significant memories from your years at Clover Hill High School, and what do you miss looking back?

I miss all of it, especially the volleyball team. My peers and teachers were amazing and the volleyball team made some great memories together over the years throughout our wins and losses.

Thomas Ensley: Former Class President and Student of the Year

I am going to the University of Tennessee. College life in the time of COVID is certainly different than what I had anticipated, but I am making the most of it.

Just as the coronavirus has affected every aspect of everyone’s lives, it has certainly had an impact on us seniors as we have left high school.

In my time at the Hill, I was able to create so many great memories and lasting friendships that I would be hard-pressed to single out just one to label as most significant.

Cheng leaves Clover Hill before heading off to George Mason University.

Yixuan Cheng: Former orchestra member

I am currently attending George Mason University. However, I haven’t experienced college life since I’m currently living at home right now due to the coronavirus, and it is terrible. I didn’t get the freshmen year experience in college like I had wanted and wished. But as far as everything goes, school is a lot of hard work, but I was able to meet some really nice classmates online.

COVID-19 has really affected how post-high school life is. I haven’t been able to go on campus and really meet people. All my classes are online and frankly, it feels like high school all over again. I wished that COVID had properly been contained so that we could have returned to normal life [sooner].

I don’t really have any specific memories, but I do miss Clover Hill a lot. I miss being in [the] orchestra. I miss the intense tardy sweeps we used to do and the morning announcements. I miss the teachers as well. In general, I would say that though my high school years weren’t perfect, they were something to remember and miss.

Even though college life for the class of 2020 has not gone entirely according to plan, they are finding ways to make connections and enjoy life, while adhering to virus regulations. 

Photo Courtesy to Thomas Ensley, Raza Haider, and Yixuan Cheng.