Student section ‘shines’ Friday versus Midlothian

Ian Hooks

Quarterback Malachai Swain (#7) commands the huddle prior to the snap.

In a battle of the student sections, the Clover Hill Cavaliers took on the Midlothian Trojans on Friday night in front of a massive crowd that virtually filled up both of the parking lots. The theme for Friday night’s game was construction/neon, so Clover Hill students came aptly dressed in their brightest neon shirts and construction vests. 

While the score largely favored the Trojans, there were many opportunities for pictures and fun with friends in the ‘highlighter’ infested student section. The game itself also featured many opportunities for the Cavs. However, they did not capitalize on those opportunities.

The game started very promising for the Cavs, compared to last Thursday, as they were able to limit some of the miscommunications and other mistakes they had made in the past. For example, the Cavs only gave up seven points in the first quarter, thanks to great defense and a stout special teams play that saw them block a Trojan field goal attempt and return it about 10 yards. 

The Cavalier starting quarterback was Malacai Swain (#7), as Holden Stephens remains out with a collarbone injury. While Swain only completed his passes at a 30% rate, he was largely not used as a passer, as the Cavs mostly focused on the run game, led by senior running back Shawn Douglas, who ran for 55 yards on 17 carries on his way to winning the Cavalier Chronicle Player of the Game award. 

Also getting in on the action on the ground was junior Elden Holmes, who ran for seven yards over three carries, junior Shanetonio Martin, who rushed for five yards in two carries, and junior Nicholas Thornton, who ran for six yards in his one carry. 

During the second quarter, Midlothian was able to run the score up to 21 to zero, but a fumble recovery by junior Andre Williams stopped them from scoring more late in the first half. Unfortunately, the Cavalier offense inevitably did not capitalize on Williams’ recovery.

The Trojans offense was then able to once again drive down the field in the third quarter, increasing the deficit to 28, but the Cavs defense recovered another fumble in the quarter, this time by junior Sean McCray (#6). 

Again, the Cavs were unable to do anything with the turnover, making it a prevalent headline from the match. The third quarter was also highlighted by Douglas, who returned a kickoff 66 yards, to the Midlothian 26-yard line. However, an interception thrown by quarterback Swain, targeting sophomore receiver LaTrell Green, in the red zone with just over six minutes left in the quarter stalled the drive there. 

Inaugural Cavalier Chronicle player of the game Holmes contributed six more tackles in the loss. Unfortunately, he left the game with an apparent injury late in the fourth quarter. In the final quarter of the game, Midlothion scored 14 more points en route to the final 42 to zero result

The Cavaliers will look to rebound after a tough start to the season next Friday against their arch rival Cosby (0-2) on the road. Next week’s game will likely also draw a strong crowd, as many students will take the opportunity to show off their favorite jerseys during jersey night.