Football unable to prevail on Senior Night


Ian Hooks

Sean Henry-McCray (#33), Devon Mason (#42) and Justin Jones (#44) celebrate a tackle

An unfortunate fourth quarter resulted in defeat for the Cavaliers on Friday night against Monacan. Filled with the emotion surrounding senior night, the Cavs fought hard but were unable to take down the three and five Chiefs. 

Prior to kickoff, the Cavs recognized 18 players, along with the senior cheerleaders and senior Cavalettes. 

The Cavaliers played some of their most competitive football of the season in the first half. However, the Chiefs began to run away deep into the game. 

Led by senior running back Shawn Douglas, the Green and Gold got on the board early; a touchdown run by Douglas gave the Cavs a six to nothing lead in the first quarter. His touchdown, however, would not have been possible without a clutch interception by the Cavalier Chronicle Defensive Player of the Game, junior defensive back Sean Henry-McCray. Henry-McCray finished the game with six tackles, one for loss, and the aforementioned interception.

The Cavalier defense suffocated the Monacan offense during the first quarter. The Cavs held the Chiefs scoreless for the first 16 minutes of the game. However, Monacan scored on two consecutive drives to make the score 14 to 6 with four minutes left in the half. Monacan’s next drive saw the Cavaliers seemingly step up and stop the Chiefs on a crucial third down thanks to a pass break up by senior Mudassir Salaam. However, as Salaam tipped the ball into the air, the Monacan receiver was able to regain his balance and complete the catch before scoring another touchdown with less than a minute to go in the half.  

Though the game seemed out of reach by the start of the second half, the Cavaliers did not give up. The Cavs’ first offensive drive of the half resulted in a second rushing touchdown for Douglas. Ending the contest with 156 rush yards on 23 rushes and two touchdowns, Douglas won the Offensive Cavalier Chronicle Player of the Game award for the fifth time this season. With the scoreboard reading 21 to 14, the Cavaliers looked to tie the game back up. However, the Chiefs implemented a very successful offensive gameplan, scoring another touchdown to begin the fourth quarter.

With the score now 28 to 14, the Chiefs elected to onside kick the ball. Their efforts were successful as they regained possession following the score. The Cavalier defense again came up clutch, though, and forced a punt that put the ball back in sophomore quarterback Malacai Swain’s hands. Unfortunately, Swain dropped a snap on the next drive, resulting in a fumble recovery by the Chiefs that led to another score, making it a 35 to 14 ballgame. 

While the game looked over after that score, the Cavalier offense kept fighting and began to put a drive together. Working the ball back up the field and crossing the 50 yard line, the Cavs looked to be in business. However, the Chiefs defense put the Cavaliers into a tough fourth and 20 situation that led to Swain throwing an interception. The interception ended any hopes of an unlikely comeback from the Cavalier offense. After one more Monacan possession, followed by an uneventful string of Cavalier snaps, the game came to an end with a final score of 35 to 14. 

With the home schedule in the books, the Green and Gold look to end the season on a high note after a rough two and seven season. Next Friday, the Cavs will head back on the road against L.C. Bird (6-2) at 7 p.m.