News roundup: 1/29 – 2/4

News roundup: 1/29 - 2/4

Announcements 

Are you interested in taking a dance class here at Clover Hill? In 2023 Dance Movement 1 will be open to Juniors and Seniors at all dance levels. Come see Mrs. Smith in front of the library Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00-8:20 a.m. for more information!

Attention World Travelers & foreign language students! Are you interested in traveling to Spain & Portugal? Did you miss our last informational meeting? If so, Mr. Miller will be hosting another interest meeting during Cav Morning, Friday, February 3rd in room 205! You can stop by for a pass before school. See Mr. Miller questions!

“Hello, Cavs! The Storytelling Club’s next Meeting will be held next week after school on Wednesday February the 1st in room 325 from 3 to to 3:45 pm! You are free to still join even if you missed the very first meeting! Go Cavs!”

Hosts needed! If you are interested in hosting a Japanese exchange student from March 19-March 27, we still need three hosts! Please see Mrs. Gladstone in 326 ASAP for information and necessary documents.

There will be no Writers’ Guild meeting this week. You can still check our club Canvas page for a new prompt. Our next in-person meeting will take place on Thursday, February 2.

Are you ready to take your DMV permit test? Sign up to take it here on February 7th at 3:15. Ask your PE teacher or come get the info from room 225.

Hey Cavs! Come compete against your classmates to see who will win the Vase of chocolate kisses and teddy bear for Valentine’s Day! Pay 50 cents per guess on how many sweets are in the Vase. Whoever guesses the number closest to the actual number wins! See Mr. Miller in room 205 before school, from now until February 14th to make a guess. Winners will be announced on Valentine’s Day! All proceeds go to the Badminton Club!

Last week:

Paths of Clover received an excellent designation from the National Council of Teachers of English in the Realm Awards.

Students and staff responded to a fire alarm by evacuating the building. 

The show choirs presented their show for this year for the first time in performances on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

The track and field team competed in a meet at James River High School on Thursday, Jan. 26. For the boys team, senior Chris Henry and junior Sean Henry-Mccray finished first and third in the 55 meter dash. Henry-Mccray also finished first in the 300 meter dash. Junior Sean Selfe finished first in the high jump and sophomore Nathan McCrea finished second in the long jump. In the shot put, senior Vincent Shelah earned second place and junior Charles Edmonds III earned sixth. For the girls team, freshmen Malaysia Rasheed and Kyra Williams finished first and second, respectively. Rasheed also finished first in the shot put. Freshman Leilani Johnson was fifth in the 300 meter dash. 

The track and field team competed in the Bulldog Invitational at Liberty University on Saturday, Jan. 28. For the girls team, freshman Malaysia Rasheed finished fifth overall out of 334 sprinters in the 55 meter dash with a time of 7.46 seconds. Junior Sesha Hill was 163rd in the same event, and junior Lily Morgan was 139th in the 500 meter dash. 

For the boys team, senior Clinton Clancy finished 18th out of 293 runners with a time of 4:34. Junior Andrew Ellingson earned 38th and freshman Josh Taylor was 51st. Junior Andrew Hathaway finished 14th overall in the 500 meter run with a time of 1:09. Junior Caleb Wilcox finished fourth in the 3200 meter run with a time of 9:49. Sophomore Nathan Mccrea was 32nd overall in the long jump. 

Clover Hill alumni Sia Chaudry was recognized as the Patriot League Women’s Tennis Player of the Week for winning all three of her matches for the Naval Academy’s tennis team. She won two singles matches and a doubles match. Her record in singles is 12-6 and her record in doubles is 7-7 so far in her freshman season. 

Gerald Glasco took over the football program as the new head coach. He previously coached for ten years as the head coach of Henrico High School’s football team. There, he had a record of 46-22 during a six year stretch and made the playoffs multiple times. He brought in coach Corey Thomas to be the defensive coordinator. Thomas was previously the offensive coordinator at Huguenot High School for the last three years. Prior to that, Thomas coached with Glasco at Henrico. Off-season conditioning for football will begin on Tuesday, Jan. 31 and continue every Monday through Thursday from 3:10-6 p.m.

This week:

Monday (1/30):

The girls basketball teams will play against Meadowbrook on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:00 p.m. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Glen Allen at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

Tuesday (1/31):

The girls basketball teams will play against Monacan on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:00 p.m. 

The varsity wrestling team will participate in a competition against multiple schools at home. 

Football off-season conditioning begins today, and it will be from 3:10 to 6 p.m. Students who want to play football should bring athletic clothes, shoes and cleats. New athletes need a VHSL physical to participate.

Wednesday (2/1):

The storytelling club will meet in room 325 from 3-3:45 p.m. after school. 

The track and field team will compete in a district meet at Manchester High School. 

There will be a Clover Hill district budget town hall in the auditorium from 6:30-8 p.m. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Monacan at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

There will be a Cavs For Christ meeting in Room 423 at 8:10 a.m. All are welcome to join.

There will be a Green Stockings Sewing and Needlework Club interest meeting in room 412 during Cav Morning.

Thursday (2/2):

There will be a Medford basketball game in the gym at 11:30 a.m. The Cavaliers will take on Cosby, and the theme for spectators is wacky tacky. 

There will be a meeting of the writers’ guild. 

The girls basketball teams will play against Powhatan at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:00 p.m. 

Friday (2/3):

There will be another interest meeting for the trip to Spain and Portugal in room 205 during Cav morning. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Powhatan on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

The Cavalettes will host the 7th annual Kelly Green Invitational dance competition in the gym from 6-10 p.m. 

Saturday (2/4):

There will be a debate and forensics tournament from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Sports scores:

Boys varsity basketball vs. Atlee: 62-56 win (Jan. 23)

Girls varsity basketball at Manchester: 81-11 loss (Jan. 24)

Boys varsity basketball vs. Manchester: 67-44 loss (Jan. 25)

Girls varsity basketball vs. Midlothian: 60-30 loss (Jan. 26)

Boys varsity basketball at Midlothian: 79-66 loss (Jan. 27)

Varsity sports record updates:

Girls basketball: 3-13

Boys basketball: 4-12

In the community: 

A new Dunkin’ Donuts location opened at 2500 Promenade Parkway in Midlothian. It is a next generation model store, which features an enhanced experience with new designs, technology and energy efficiency. 

Three family members from Midlothian were sentenced to years in prison for years-long forced labor of Pakistani women. 

The Richmond Times-Dispatch released their 2022 all-metro football team. It includes three Clover Hill players: lineman CJ Brooks, running back Shawn Douglas and receiver Latrell Green. All three were honorable mentions. 

Monacan High School teacher Kate Doctor won Chesterfield County’s Teacher of the Year Award for the 2022-2023 school year. 

According to superintendent Dr. Mervin Daugherty, Chesterfield County Public Schools may be forced to make cuts because of a funding deficiency. 

CCPS’s year-round school experiments at Bellwood Elementary and Falling Creek Elementary may soon come to an end, meaning that all county schools will be on the same schedule next year.