News roundup: 3/20 – 3/24

News roundup: 3/20 - 3/24

Announcements:

The Clover Hill blood drive will be on Friday, April 21. Anyone over the age of 16 can donate blood. The event also needs volunteers. Interested students can see Nurse White in the clinic for more information.

Students who want to take the learner’s permit test can sign up to take it at school on March 21. The information is in a folder outside room 225. 

National Art Honor Society members and students currently enrolled in honors art courses are supposed to stop by room 005 to sign up to volunteer with the setup and breakdown of Clover Hill’s art display at the county wide Fine Arts Festival. These hours will count towards their honors service hours.

Last week:

The Medford Cavaliers beat the Midlothian Trojans at home in their senior game. 

The Biden Administration approved the controversial Willow Project, which is an oil drilling operation in Alaska. 

A majority of the spring sports opened their seasons. 

Tenth graders took the writing SOL and the rest of the school had an altered bell schedule. 

The environmental club and biology club hosted a campus cleanup where they picked up litter on the school’s grounds. 

The debate team finished as the regional runner-up in the 5C regional debate tournament on Saturday.

The Model UN team attended the Governor’s School Model UN conference over the weekend. Seniors Sujhan Alwin and Nicky Lyall earned the Outstanding Delegates award.

This week:

Monday (3/20):

Ten Japanese exchange students from Clover Hill’s partner school in Japan will arrive and start attending Clover Hill. It will be the first time the school has hosted Japanese exchange students since before the pandemic. There will be an event during Cav morning to welcome them. 

The boys tennis team will take on Glen Allen on the road starting at 4:30 p.m. 

The baseball teams will play against Matoaca. The junior varsity game will take place at Matoaca and start at 6 p.m. The varsity game will be at home and start at 5 p.m.

The girls lacrosse teams will play against Manchester at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7 p.m.

The girls soccer teams will have matches against Matoaca on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7 p.m.

Tuesday (3/21):

The Robotics Club will meet during Cav morning.

There will be a learner’s permit test offered after school.

The girls tennis team will have a match against Midlothian on the road. It starts at 3:30 p.m. 

The boys tennis team will have a match against Midlothian at home. It starts at 3:30 p.m. 

The baseball teams will play against L.C. Bird. The junior varsity game will take place at L.C. Bird and start at 5 p.m. The varsity game will be at home and start at 5 p.m.

The softball teams will play against L.C. Bird. The junior varsity game will take place at L.C. Bird and start at 5 p.m. The varsity game will be at home and start at 5 p.m.

The girls soccer team will play against L.C. Bird at home at 6:15 p.m. 

The boys soccer teams will play against L.C. Bird at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:45 p.m. 

Wednesday (3/22):

Math/Sci opportunities night will start at 5 p.m. and end at 7:30 p.m. It will give eighth graders accepted into Math/Sci the chance to visit the building and ask questions before deciding whether or not to attend.

The boys lacrosse team will take on Highland Springs on the road. The game starts at 7 p.m. 

Thursday (3/23):

The baseball teams will play against Manchester. The junior varsity game will take place at home and start at 5 p.m. The varsity game will be at Manchester and start at 5 p.m.

The softball teams will play against Manchester. The junior varsity game will take place at home and start at 5 p.m. The varsity game will be at Manchester and start at 5 p.m.

The girls soccer teams will play against Manchester at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7 p.m. 

The boys soccer teams will play against Manchester on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7 p.m. 

The Cursive Club will have a meeting after school in Mr. Goobic’s room.

The Green Stockings Sewing and Needlework Club will have a meeting after school in room 301.

The Biology club will have a meeting at door 11 at 7:45 a.m. 

Friday (3/24):

There will be an all-county jazz band rehearsal in the auditorium.

The Medford basketball banquet will be from 10:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the forum.

The French Club will meet during Cav Morning in room 125.

Saturday (3/25):

The track and field team will compete in the Highland Springs relays invitational meet at Highland Springs High School. The meet starts at 8:30 a.m. 

Several speakers for the forensics team will compete in the state competition in Loudoun County. The state-qualifying speakers are Maggie Matzen (original oratory), Cassidy Gunter (storytelling), Julia Herald (humorous interpretation) and Laurel Bennett (dramatic interpretation). 

Sports scores:

Softball at Thomas Dale: 17-2 win (3/13)

Baseball at Thomas Dale: 2-1 win (3/13)

Girls tennis vs. Mills Godwin: 6-3 loss (3/13)

Boys tennis at. Mills Godwin: 9-0 loss (3/13)

Girls tennis at L.C. Bird: 9-0 win (3/14)

Boys tennis vs. L.C. Bird: 8-1 win (3/14)

Girls tennis vs. Manchester: 7-2 win (3/16)

Boys tennis at. Manchester: 9-0 win (3/16)

Medford basketball vs. Midlothian: 24-22 win (3/16)

Softball at James River: 23-8 win (3/16)

Baseball at James River: 7-0 loss (3/16)

Boys soccer at James River: 3-0 loss (3/16)

Girls soccer vs. James River: 6-1 loss (3/16)

Girls lacrosse at Goochland: 19-1 win (3/17)

Boys lacrosse at Goochland: 14-6 win (3/17)

Varsity sports record updates:

Boys tennis: 2-1

Girls tennis: 2-1

Softball: 2-0

Baseball: 1-1

Girls lacrosse: 1-0

Boys lacrosse: 1-0

Boys soccer: 0-1

Girls soccer: 0-1

In the community:

Chesterfield County fire staff are working with Virginia Energy AML to clean up a coal refuse fire that happened in the county.