News Roundup: 11/13 – 11/19

Announcements:

Current and former French students are invited to join the French Club. Interested students can see Madame Edmundson in room 125 to scan the QR code and ask any questions they have.

Seniors need to order their caps and gowns if they want to walk at graduation. They can place their orders on Herff Jones’s website or at an in-person appointment on Tuesday, Nov. 15. The school will place the order in Dec., so any orders after that time will be higher in price. 

Seniors can complete the nomination form to chose faculty players and cheerleaders for the seniors vs. faculty basketball game on Dec. 16. The form is on the senior Canvas page, and it is open until Tuesday, Nov. 22.

Students can sign up to take the DMV permit test at school on Dec. 13. The info is outside of room 229.

Last week:

The boys cross country team finished in second place at the VHSL class 5 state meet on Saturday, Nov. 12 to earn a spot on the podium as the runner-up. It was the highest finish in school history. Freshman Josh Taylor (sixth), freshman Ethan Thorne (tenth), senior Andrew Bennett (eleventh), and senior Clinton Clancy (fourteenth) received all-state honors after finishing in the top 15. 

Clover Hill students and staff voted in the 2022 midterm elections on Nov. 8. 

The winter sports teams began to hold tryouts for the upcoming season. More information about winter sports is available on the athletics canvas page and the school website.

The band program hosted their fall concert on Nov. 10. 

On Saturday the debate team participated in a speech and debate tournament at James River High School. Several students won awards. Senior Maggie Matzen placed first in the varsity division for Lincoln-Douglas debate, sophomore Matthew Wang earned second place in impromptu speaking and freshman Julia Herald was second in humorous interpretation.

This week:

Monday (11/14):

The step team will practice from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the commons. 

Tuesday (11/15):

Representatives from Herff Jones will be at school to take orders from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The varsity and junior varsity girls’ basketball teams will scrimmage against Matoaca at home in the gym. The JV game will start at 5:30 p.m. and the varsity game will start at 7 p.m.

Write Aid is holding a tutor meeting during Cav Morning.

Wednesday (11/16):

Cavs for Christ will meet at 8:10 a.m. in room 423.

The library is holding a workshop during Cav Morning, where they will make thanksgiving themed cookies.

This month’s books and bites meeting will be in the library during all lunches.

The German club will meet after school in room 124 to watch a movie and drink hot chocolate. 

The film club is hosting a meeting in room 329 from 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to discuss The Sixth Sense. All are welcome to attend.

NHS will meet in the auditorium after school from 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to discuss the upcoming service project for Nov. and Dec. 

Thursday (11/17):

Club pictures for the yearbook will take place in the auditorium from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 

Friday (11/18):

This is the last day for students to donate to Math/Sci’s “Give Thanks and Giving” food drive to collect non-perishable food items for Chesterfield Food Bank. 

Yong Leaders for Change will hold their first meeting during Cav Morning in room 404 for interested students.

Science National Honor Society is holding a meeting after school in room 328 to do an activity with polymers. Members must attend at least one meeting per semester.

The National Art Honor Society will meet in room 005 after school to make hand turkeys and thank you cards.

In the community: 

In the Nov. 8 midterm elections, Republican Rob Wittman won Virginia’s first congressional district while Democrat Donald McEachin won the fourth congressional district. Both are incumbents who won another term in the House of Representatives. The first and fourth districts each contain part of Chesterfield County. In the race for the Midlothian seat on the county’s Board of Supervisors, Democrat Mark Miller holds a lead over Republican Jennifer McNinch with more votes still uncounted.

Finally, the county’s $540 million bond referendum passed with 76% of the voters saying “yes.” The county will now devote the money to projects related to schools, infrastructure and public safety. The largest share of the money will go to schools; as the county continues to expand, schools are becoming overcrowded as more students arrive. The $375 million slated for schools covers replacement buildings for A.M. Davis Elementary, Bensley Elementary, Midlothian Middle, Grange Hall Elementary and upgrades to Thomas Dale high school. It also provides for the construction of a new Western 360 Area High School and Elementary in the western side of the county. The $81.1 million for public safety will improve or replace several fire and police stations. The $45.7 million for libraries will replace Enon Library, expand Ettrick-Matoaca Library and build a new Western Hull Street Library. The remaining $38.2 million will go towards parks and recreation projects, including enhancements to River City Sportsplex and work at county parks. A bond referendum raises money for projects by selling bonds; this is the eleventh time Chesterfield County has used bonds to fund capital projects.