News roundup: 2/27 – 3/3

News roundup: 2/27 - 3/3

Announcements:

If you are going to ride a different bus, you need to have your parent write a note that contains their name, their phone number, the different bus number AND route number. These must be turned in no later than 10 am the day you need to ride the different bus.

The Badminton club will be hosting its Spring Raffle now until March 17th. Top 3 winners will receive prizes from Target, Gelati Celesti & Chickfila! Tickets are 1 dollar with no limit to the number you can purchase. Stop by room 205 before school for purchases.

The library will continue blind date with a book through the end of the week. Students can stop by the library and check out a wrapped-up book without knowing which it is, and then open it up and read it.

Gaming Tournament XIV is on and coming on March 3rd from 4 – 8:30 PM after school at the Hull Street Tech Center. There will be prizes such as a Nintendo Switch, Headsets, and much more. In addition, they will raffle off a $2400 gaming computer for $5 per ticket, 2 for $8. Entry fee of $5. Bring your chromebook and some cash for food. Raffle Tickets will be sold during the tournament. For more information or to register online, visit their website at bit.ly/GTXIV or email them at [email protected].

The performing arts department will host three free jazz band clinics on Mondays during March from 3:15pm-5:15pm in the Band Room. These clinics are open to any student who plays guitar, bass, piano, drum set, trumpet, trombone, or saxophone. These clinics will prepare students for potential audition submissions for the jazz band in 2023-2024. Come out to learn about jazz theory, jazz technique, improvisation, and a few charts. The first clinic will be on Monday, March 6.

Last week:

DeRenae Jones (cheer) and Luke Dibert (wrestling) won the athlete of the month award from Clover Hill Athletics. Jones received the award for her spirit and work ethic along with her record of setting a positive example for the rest of the team. Dibert won for his leadership as a team captain and his 4-1 record on the mat, as well as his honor roll grades. 

The indoor track and field team had several athletes qualify for and compete at the state meet on Friday and Saturday in Virginia Beach. The boys 4 by 800 meter relay won the state title with a time of 8:04, 4 seconds faster than their nearest competitors. The relay team consisted of seniors Andrew Bennett and Clinton Clancy and juniors Caleb Wilcox and Andrew Hathaway. Wilcox, Clancy and Bennett also earned second, fifth and seventh in the 1600 meter run, respectively, with times of 4:19, 4:26 and 4:28 in the race, which is slightly under a mile in distance. Hathaway also took sixth in the 500 meter dash, an all-state place, and Clancy finished ninth in the 3200 meter run. Freshman Ethan Thorne finished right behind Clancy and earned tenth in the 3200 meter run. Finally, Chris Henry finished fourteenth in the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.68 seconds. 

For the girls track and field team at states, the 4 by 200 meter relay team finished in eighth place with a time of 1:47.51. The team consisted of freshmen Malaysia Rasheed, Leilani Johnson and Kyra Williams along with junior Torie Satterwhite. Rasheed also finished eighteenth in the 55 meter dash. 

The forensics team placed first at the 5C and 5D super-regional tournament on Saturday at Cosby High School. Senior Maggie Matzen earned second in original oratory, senior Cassidy Gunter was second in storytelling, senior Laurel Bennett won serious dramatic interpretation and freshman Julia Herald received third in humorous interpretation. All four qualified for the state tournament, which will be in March in Loudoun County. Additionally, other Cavaliers placed in their events.

The boys basketball team was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the regional tournament on Tuesday, Feb. 21 by Highland Springs High School by a score of 75-61. The loss came in the second round of the tournament after the Cavs beat Douglas Freeman in the first game. The girls basketball team previously lost to Midlothian in the first round of their tournament. 

This week:

Monday (2/27):

There will be a senior social in the cafeteria at 1:55 p.m to announce the winners of the superlative awards. Seniors will go to class for the first 30 minutes of fourth block and then leave to go to the social after an announcement on the intercom. Each senior will receive a ticket during their English class; they should drop these tickets in the raffle bucket upon arrival at the social for a chance to win a prize. There will be soda, water and chips and salsa for snacks and drinks. 

The Green Stockings Sewing and Needlework Club will meet after school in room 412 to practice the basics of sewing. No experience is required. All students are welcome. 

Tuesday (2/28):

Both the boys and girls soccer teams will scrimmage against Mills Godwin. The girls will play at Clover Hill and the boys will be on the road. The girls junior varsity game starts at 4 p.m., the boys junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. and both varsity games start at 7 p.m. 

Wednesday (3/1):

There will be a band rehearsal in the auditorium from 3-6 p.m. 

The boys and girls lacrosse teams will scrimmage against Mills Godwin. The girls will be at home and the boys will be on the road. The girls junior varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. and the boys and girls varsity games start at 7 p.m. 

The softball team will scrimmage against Mills Godwin at home at 7:00 p.m. on the softball field. 

There will be a paying for college workshop in the forum at 6 p.m. All students and families are welcome to attend. 

Thursday (3/2):

There will be a meeting of the biology club at 7:45 a.m. Meet at door 11.

The girls soccer teams will have a scrimmage against Collegiate on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 4 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 5:30 p.m. 

Cursive Club will have a meeting after school in Mr. Goobic’s room.

There will be a meeting of the environmental club on Thursday, March 2 at 3:05 p.m. in room 008. The meeting will last about half an hour. All are welcome.

Friday (3/3):

There will be set up for the AIA competition from 3-10 p.m. in the band room.

Gaming Tournament XIV will be at the Hull Street Tech Center after school from 4-8:30 p.m. Interested students should bring their chromebooks, $5 to get in and additional money to enter the raffle.

Cavs Connect will stay after school to paint hallway windows. Members can sign up using the google form on the canvas page.

Saturday (3/4): 

The baseball teams will have a scrimmage against Ocean Lakes at home on the baseball field. The junior varsity game and the varsity game both start at noon.

The AIA competition will run from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. 

Sports scores:

Boys varsity basketball at Highland Springs: 75-61 loss (Feb. 21)

In the community:

Jennifer McClellan, a Democrat, won the special election in Virginia’s fourth congressional district to earn a seat in the United States House of Representatives. She will be Virginia’s first African-American congresswoman. McClellan beat Republican Leon Benjamin to fill the seat vacated by the death of representative Donald McEachin in November. Since the fourth district contains half of Chesterfield, although Clover Hill is located in the half within the first district, students and staff had the day off on Tuesday, Feb. 21 as voters cast their ballots. 

There is a new Royal Farms gas station in construction on Midlothian Turnpike.

Chesterfield County approved a townhouse development on Midlothian Turnpike, which will bring 18 new townhouses to the county. 

An Amazon grocery store will open on Hull Street Road at a new development site, according to a county planning official. However, the exact identity of the store is unknown at this time. 

Bainbridge Companies recently started building a 310-unit luxury apartment complex in Midlothian. The complex is located at 12400 Dutton Road. Bainbridge expects the apartments to be ready next summer. 

The Lego Company plans to hire 500 workers by the end of the year for their factory in Chesterfield. The factory will be the company’s U.S. manufacturing hub, and they will invest over $1 billion to build it on 1.7 million square feet of land. Production in the factory will start in the second half of 2025, and it will be an entirely solar powered, carbon-neutral site that minimizes energy consumption and use of non-renewable resources. The 500 people hired by the company will start work in early 2024 at a temporary packing site while the company is finishing building the factory. When it is finished, it will have 1760 jobs.