News Roundup: 10/30 – 11/5

Announcements:

Students interested in joining the military can sign up to take the ASVAB test in the counseling office. The test will be on Nov. 1. 

The online payment link for AP exam registration will remain open until Nov. 1. In-person payments are now closed. Anyone with questions can talk to their AP teacher. 

The clinic is asking students to bring an extra jacket instead of a blanket to keep warm because blankets can be covered in germs. Questions on this request can be directed to Nurse White. 

The school will hold the DMV learner’s permit test on Nov. 1 at 3:15 in the library. Students interested in taking the test can talk to their drivers’ education teacher and sign up with a parent permission slip. 

The lost and found is full. Anyone who is missing a water bottle, piece of clothing or any other item should come to the clinic to check for it. 

The English Honor Society is accepting applications from sophomores, juniors, and seniors until Friday, Nov. 11. Interested students can apply through the English Honor Society’s google form and direct questions to sponsors Leigh Nagosky and Jessica Fout.

Last week:

The guitar ensemble performed their fall concert in the auditorium on Oct. 26, playing songs they have worked on for the first two months of the school year.

The seniors finished painting their parking spots. 

Math/Sci hosted their open house for 8th grade students and their families. 

Orchestra performed a concert in the auditorium on the night of Oct. 27. 

The marching band had a show for assessment on Saturday, Oct. 29 at Hermitage High School.

Clover Hill hosted a craft fair to raise money for the athletic programs. 

The first quarter of the 2022-2023 school year ended.

This week:

Monday (10/31):

There will be a talent show rehearsal after school from 3:15 to 5 in the auditorium.

The girls’ varsity volleyball team will play against Douglas Freeman at home in the regional tournament.  The game will start at 6 p.m. in the gym 

The boys’ varsity volleyball team will take on L.C. Bird at home in the regional tournament. The game will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the gym. 

Clover Hill will celebrate Halloween.

Tuesday (11/1):

Coach Clopton is holding a girls’ lacrosse interest meeting during Cav Morning in room 427. 

The school will offer the ASVAB test for students interested in joining the military.

This is the last day of the AP exam registration window. 

The DMV learner’s permit test will take place in the library at 3:15 after school for students who have signed up to take it. 

Cavs Connect, a new club focusing on building an inclusive and kind school culture, is holding an interest meeting after school in room 128. 

The Fuzion talent show will take place at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. 

Wednesday (11/2):

The Young Conservatives club will meet after school to discuss the upcoming midterm elections. 

Cavs for Christ will meet at 8 a.m. in room 423. 

The cross country teams will compete in the regional meet at Pole Green Park. 

Thursday (11/3):

The first day of the math modeling competition will start in the library at 8 a.m. and go until the end of the school day. 

The junior varsity football team will play at home against L.C. Bird at 6 p.m. 

Chesterfield County Public Schools is holding their 2022 college fair from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Monacan High School. All juniors, seniors and their families are welcome, and there will be representatives from more than 80 colleges and universities attending.

Friday (11/4):

The varsity football team will play their final game of the regular season on the road against L.C. 

Bird at 7 p.m. 

The second day of the math modeling competition will be in the library from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

Saturday (11/5):

The marching band will compete in the state competition at Liberty University.

Sports scores:

Girls Varsity Volleyball at Cosby: 3-0 loss (Oct. 25)

Boys Varsity Volleyball vs. Prince George: 3-1 win (Oct. 24)

Boys Varsity Volleyball vs. Cosby: 3-0 loss (Oct. 25)

Varsity Field Hockey vs. Powhatan: 7-0 loss (Oct. 24)

Varsity Field Hockey at John Randolph Tucker: 2-1 loss (Oct. 26 – regional tournament)

Junior Varsity Football at Monacan: 28-8 win (Oct. 27)

Varsity Football vs. Monacan: 35-14 loss (Oct. 28)

Varsity sports record updates:

Girls Volleyball: 8-9

Boys Volleyball: 6-12

Football: 2-7

Field Hockey: 1-15

In the community: 

Deep Grooves Records in Richmond hosted their annual sidewalk sale to support the Harvey Family Memorial Endowment. On Oct. 22 and Oct. 23, they placed thousands of records outside their store for customers to buy by donating to the charity. This year, they raised $2,200.

Chesterfield County approved a plan for a mixed-use development at the corner of Midlothian Turnpike and Alverser Drive that will feature a 350 acre apartment complex, two groups of stores and a grocery store. The developer of the plot is SJC Ventures. 

On Oct. 26, Chesterfield County’s Board of Supervisors approved two new housing developments that will bring 544 homes to the county. The smaller development, at 270 acres and 150 homes, is the Beach Road Infill. It is a long, narrow strip of housing with above average lot sizes that is supposed to connect the existing neighborhood of Brandy Oaks to Beach Road. However, there are concerns that the houses would be built on top of wetlands, and it could create overcrowding at area schools Grange Hall Elementary, Manchester Middle and Manchester High. 

The other development, Newmarket South, is a 394-home suburban neighborhood on Otterdale Road to the North of the Swift Creek reservoir. As part of the deal, the developers will widen a portion of Otterdale Road to accommodate the increase in traffic and install a high-water warning system at the crossing over Swift Creek. Newmarket South could also create overcrowding issues for schools as Midlothian High and Old Hundred Elementary would likely go above capacity. However, unlike the Beach Road Infill, Newmarket South’s area might get another elementary school and high school to prevent overcrowding if the plan is approved in the referendum during the election next week. 

On Nov. 5, the Virginia Department of Transportation will host an event called “Highway Heroes” to celebrate Crash Responder Safety Week at the Chesterfield County Fairgrounds. It will educate attendees about first responders and offer them a chance to learn about how they do their jobs.

The Chesterfield Planning Commission endorsed a proposed project by Kettler development that would build 450 homes, a restaurant and a hotel in the Brandermill area. The homes will be on a connector road between Market Square and Rose Glen near Old Hundred Road. It was originally supposed to be 788 homes, but Kettler revised it to 170 single-family homes and 280 condominiums. However, there is a petition signed by 756 residents that opposes the development over fears of overcrowding the area and creating traffic and unsafe conditions for the people already living there. However, the plan also includes improvements to the roads that are aimed at preventing an increase in traffic, such as another traffic light on Market Square Lane and improvement of the intersection of Millridge Parkway and Old Hundred Road. Following the endorsement by the Planning Commission, the proposal will now go to the Board of Supervisors, who will vote to deny or approve it. 

The Chesterfield Planning Commission also approved an 18-acre equestrian center called Hickory Haven Equestrian which would be near the border with Colonial Heights to the South. It would offer horse-riding lessons and feature a barn, parking lot, riding area and three pastures. It would also continue to serve as agricultural land. The Board of Supervisors will now vote on it. 

In the build-up to the midterm elections, Chesterfield County is offering five early voting sites at libraries. Ettrick-Matoaca, Clover Hill, LaPrade, Meadowdale and North Courthouse Road libraries will be open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday until the election and on Oct. 29 and Nov. 5 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.