News Roundup: 1/1 – 1/7

Announcements:

Students and parents are needed to volunteer to work the concession stand at home sporting events. The money from concessions supports the athletic programs. Volunteers can sign up for boys basketball, girls basketball and wrestling

In 2023, Dance Movement 1 will be open to Juniors and Seniors at all dance levels. See Mrs. Smith in front of the library Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00-8:20 a.m. for more information.

Last week:

The indoor track and field team competed in the F.I.A. Holiday Indoor Classic on Friday, Dec. 30. For the boys team, Senior Chris Henry placed seventh in the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.78 seconds and ninth in the 60 meter dash with a time of 7.29 seconds; junior Sean Henry-Mccray took eleventh in both events. Mccray also finished eighth in the 200 meter dash with a time of 23.52 seconds. Junior Andrew Hathaway earned sixth in the 400 meter dash by running it in 52.83 seconds. In the 1600 meter run, junior Caleb Wilcox finished second, senior Clinton Clancy was fifth and junior Andrew Ellingson was sixth with times of 4:33, 4:39 and 4:50 respectively. Freshman Ethan Thorne took first place in the 3200 meter run with a time of 9:59. 

The girls 4 by 200 meter relay team finished third with a time of 1:50. Freshman Malaysia Rasheed finished twelfth in the 55 meter dash, twelfth in the 60 meter dash and fourteenth in the 200 meter dash with times of 7.58, 8.16 and 27.13 seconds respectively. Junior Torie Satterwhite took seventeenth in the 200 in 27.47 seconds.

This week:

Monday (1/2):

This is the last day of winter break. There is no school.

Tuesday (1/3):

The girls basketball teams are playing against Powhatan on the road. Junior varsity will start at 5:45 p.m. and varsity will start at 7:15 p.m. 

Wednesday (1/4):

The boys basketball teams will play against Powhatan at home. Junior varsity will start at 5:45 p.m. and varsity will start at 7:15 p.m. 

The Storytelling Club is meeting in room 325 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Cavs For Christ will have its first meeting of the new year, at 8:10 a.m. in room 423.

The academic team will have a virtual tournement at 6 p.m.

Thursday (1/5):

The Medford basketball team will play at 11:30 a.m. in the gym. 

The junior varsity wrestling team will participate in a competition at 5:30 p.m. at Clover Hill.

The girls basketball teams will compete against Cosby on the road. The junior varsity team will play at 6 p.m. and varsity plays at 7:30 p.m. 

The school will host its ninth grade curriculum night from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. in the auditorium.

Friday (1/6):

The boys basketball teams will play against Cosby at home. Junior varsity will start at 5:45 p.m. and varsity will start at 7:15 p.m.

Tri-M students, will have a meeting during Cav morning in the orchestra room. See Mrs. Grooms for a Cav morning pass.

Saturday (1/7):

The swim and dive teams will compete in a meet at SwimRVA. It starts at 8:00 a.m. 

The varsity wrestling team will compete against Highland Springs on the road at 10:00 a.m. 

Sports scores:

Girls varsity basketball at Midlothian: 60-15 loss (Dec. 12)

Boys varsity basketball vs. Midlothian: 82-66 loss (Dec. 12)

Girls varsity basketball vs. Monacan: 42-14 loss (Dec. 13)

Boys varsity basketball at Monacan: 79-43 loss (Dec. 14)

Varsity sports records:

Girls basketball: 1-7

Boys basketball: 1-6

In the community:

In the Virginia Lottery’s New Year’s Millionaire Raffle, five Virginia residents drew tickets worth a million dollars. One of the winning tickets was sold at the Wegmans supermarket in Midlothian.

Early voting in the special election to fill the vacant seat in the House of Representatives for the fourth district will begin on Friday, Jan. 6. The late Donald McEachin held the seat until his death on Nov. 28. The race to fill it will be between Democrat Jennifer McClellan and Republican Leon Benjamin, who ran against McEachin in the November Midterm Election.  

Chesterfield County currently has medium levels of COVID-19 transmission according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).