News roundup: 1/22 – 1/28

Announcements:

Are you interested in taking a dance class here at Clover Hill? In 2023 Dance Movement 1 will be open to Juniors and Seniors at all dance levels. Come see Mrs. Smith in front of the library Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00-8:20 a.m. for more information.

Still working on your schedule? Would you like to learn how to code? See Mr. Deleon in room 437.

Are you looking for another elective to complete your schedule for next school year? Consider taking a band class! Instrumental Ensemble (PA-316) is open to students of all levels to learn how to read music and play percussion instruments. See our fliers posted around the school and scan the QR codes for more information! Feel free to come by the Band Room to ask Mrs. Gatch questions.

Want to join Chorus next year? If you are interested in Concert Choir, join our Treble or Mixed Choir – no audition is required! If you are interested in Show Choir or our Advanced Chorus, check out the flyers in the hallways or by the Chorus Room for audition information.

Any students who want to host a Japanese exchange student in March need to talk to Mrs. Gladstone in room 326.

Attention World Travelers & foreign language students! Are you interested in traveling to Spain & Portugal? Did you miss our last informational meeting? If so, Mr. Miller will be hosting another interest meeting during Cav Morning, Friday February 3rd in room 205! You can stop by for a pass before school. See Mr. Miller with any questions.

Last week:

The school made changes to the bus lineup. Additionally, the county changed some of the bus numbers and routes.

Students began choosing classes for next year. 

Clover Hill and the rest of Chesterfield County Public Schools celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, Jan. 16. 

The school installed a one-way cover decorated in green and gold on the doors at the front of the school. 

In the track and field team’s district meet at Powhatan High School, the boys team won first place while the girls team took third. For the boys, senior Chris Henry, junior Sean Henry-Mccray, freshman Jaliel Clanton and sophomore Jaidon Gardner finished first, second, third and fifth, respectively, in the 55 meter dash. Junior Andrew Hathaway won the 500 meter dash in a time of 1:11.78. In the 1600 meter run, freshmen Ethan Thorne and Josh Taylor finished first and second with times of 4:47 and 4:54. The boys 4 by 200 meter relay team consisting of Henry, Clanton, junior Nick Thornton and Henry-Mccray finished first. The 4 by 800 meter relay team consisting of Hathaway, Thorne, Taylor and senior Ben Schneider finished first. In the long jump, Clanton took first while sophomore Nathan McCrea and senior Nasir Crews were fourth and fifth. McCrea and Crews also finished third and fourth in the triple jump. 

For the girls track and field team, freshman Malaysia Rasheed, junior Torie Satterwhite and freshman Kyra Williams finished in the top three spots in the 55 meter dash. Freshman Leilani Johnson was sixth. The 4 by 200 meter relay team consisting of Satterwhite, Rasheed, Williams and Johnson finished first. 

This week:

Monday (1/23):

This is a half day for the end of the quarter. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Atlee at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

Tuesday (1/24):

There will be a meeting of the Young Conservatives club in room 124.

The girls basketball teams will play against Manchester on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

The Improv club meeting will be during CAV morning in room 404.

Wednesday (1/25):

The boys basketball teams will play against Manchester at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

The wrestling team has a match against Varina High School on the road.

Cavs For Christ will meet this Wednesday, January 25th in Room 423 at 8:10 a.m. All are welcome to join.

Badminton Club has a meeting from 3-4 p.m.

The film club will discuss The Fabelmans and Oscar buzz in Room 329 after school. All are invited to join.

Thursday (1/26):

The girls basketball teams will play against Midlothian at home. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

The junior varsity wrestling team will participate in a competition at Prince George High School.

The track and field team will compete in a district meet at James River High School. The meet starts at 4 p.m.

Cursive Club will have a meeting after school in Mr. Goobic’s room.

Biology Club will have a meeting outside door 11 at 7:45 a.m. Dress appropriately for the weather.

Friday (1/27):

There will be a show choir concert, the first of the year, in the auditorium from 1:45-2:30 p.m. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Midlothian on the road. The junior varsity game starts at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity game starts at 7:15 p.m. 

There will be a show choir parent preview in the auditorium from 7:00-8:15 p.m. 

African American club will be holding a meeting during CAV morning in room 404.

Saturday (1/28):

The track and field team will compete in the Bulldog Invitational at Liberty University in Lynchburg. 

The wrestling team will compete in a match against Powhatan High School on the road.

Sports scores:

Girls varsity basketball at James River: 75-45 loss (Jan. 17)

Boys varsity basketball vs. James River: 65-52 loss (Jan. 18)

Girls varsity basketball vs. L.C. Bird: 56-16 loss (Jan. 19)

Boys varsity basketball at L.C. Bird: 83-43 loss (Jan. 20)

Varsity sports record updates:

Girls basketball: 3-11

Boys basketball: 3-10

In the community:

Chesterfield County is offering summer internships to college students. Applications are now open. 

Pictures from last week: