News Roundup: 12/11 – 12/17

Announcements:

The prices for graduation caps and gowns on Herff Jones’s website go up after Dec. 15. Seniors who still need to order theirs can see Mrs. Kirtley in room 007 for assistance.

Any students who want to sign up for Behind the Wheel can see Mrs. Lambert in front of the library on Monday and Tuesday before first block. There are spots available over winter break.

Theatre on the Hill will hold auditions for the spring musical, “Into the Woods,” in the forum on Dec. 14 after school and in the auditorium Dec. 15 after school. Anyone who wants to try out should come prepared with 45 seconds of a musical theater song and a minute long monologue. Students can direct their questions to Mrs. Wilkerson in room 027.

The deadline for National Art Honor Society members to pay their dues is Friday, Dec. 16. More information is available on the Canvas page and Mrs. Principe can take any questions.

Last week:

The library hosted a World Cup trivia competition on Thursday, Dec. 8.

English teacher Rhonda Clopton received the Superintendent’s Game Changer award for her work as a teacher and field hockey and lacrosse coach. Superintendent Mervin Daugherty in her classroom on the morning of Dec. 8. 

Brittney Griner returned home from her imprisonment in Russia after the United States government completed a prisoner swap with Russia for arms dealer Viktor Bout.

The indoor track team competed in the J.R. Tucker Winter Classic on Saturday, Dec. 10. Freshman Malaysia Rasheed won third place in the 55 meter dash with a time of 7.43 seconds. Freshman Kyra Williams and junior Torie Satterwhite came in second and third place, respectively, in the 300 meter dash. Clover Hill’s 4 by 200 meter relay team came in first. Junior Danielle Couch won the long jump and finished third in the triple jump. Senior Chris Henry and junior Sean Henry-McCray finished sixth and eighth in the 55 meter dash, respectively. Henry-McCray won the 300 meter dash. Junior Caleb Wilcox won the 500 meter dash. Senior Andrew Bennett won the 1000 meter run. Freshman Ethan Thorne and junior Andrew Ellingson finished seventh and ninth in the 1600 meter run. In the 3200 meter run, senior Clinton Clancy finished third, freshman Josh Taylor finished fourth and junior Andrew Hathaway finished seventh. Finally, the boys 4 by 800 meter relay team finished first. Overall, both the boys and the girls teams finished third. 

This week:

Monday (12/12):

The spirit week theme is holly jolly PJ’s. 

The Math/Sci senior breakfast will take place in the forum.

LEAD Club will hold their final meeting of 2022 after school in room 308. It will last about 15 minutes.

The step team will practice from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the commons.

The basketball teams will play against Midlothian. The boys play at home and the girls play on the road. The JV games start at 5:45 p.m. and the varsity games start at 7:15 p.m. 

Tuesday (12/13):

The spirit week theme is deck the halls.

The girls basketball teams will play against Monacan at home. JV starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m. 

Wednesday (12/14):

The spirit week theme is festive family photos.

There will be a boys soccer interest meeting from 3:15 to 3:45 p.m. in the commons. 

The varsity wrestling team will compete against Maggie Walker at home. 

The boys basketball teams will play against Monacan on the road. JV starts at 5:45 p.m. and varsity starts at 7:15 p.m.

Thursday (12/15):

The spirit week theme is holiday in the tropics.

The JV wrestling team will compete against multiple schools at home. 

The boys basketball teams will play against James River on the road. JV begins at 5:45 p.m. and varsity tips off at 7:15 p.m.

Friday (12/16):

The spirit week theme is let it snow, and students should wear white clothes.

The senior social will be from 8:30 to 10:00 a.m. 

The jazz band and percussion ensemble will perform during lunches.

This is the last day before winter break.

Saturday (12/17):

The indoor track and field team will compete in a meet at Saint Christopher School in Richmond.

Sports scores:

Boys varsity basketball vs. Huguenot: 61-54 loss (Dec. 5)

Girls varsity basketball vs. Manchester: 81-8 loss (Dec. 8)

Boys varsity basketball at Manchester: 85-35 loss (Dec. 9)

Varsity sports record updates:

Boys basketball: 1-4

Girls basketball: 0-3

In the community:

The Metro Richmond Zoo will present its annual holiday show, “Miracle of Christmas – live at the Zoo,” during the night of Dec. 20 through the night of Dec. 22.

BJ’s Wholesale Club opened a new location in Midlothian at 12201 Bridgewood Crossing Drive near Hull Street Road.

The dedication ceremony for the new Midlothian Fire Station 5 will take place on Monday, Dec. 12. The station is located at the intersection of Midlothian Turnpike and Charter Colony Parkway. Everyone in the community is welcome to attend. It first opened in Sep.