News Roundup: 11/20 – 11/26

Announcements:

Students can sign up to take the DMV learner’s permit test at school on Dec. 13 instead of going to the DMV. The information is outside of room 229 for students who want to sign up.

Students can sign up to visit Write Aid, Clover Hill’s writing center, to get help with writing assignments by scanning the QR code on flyers in English classrooms. Write Aid is open during Cav Morning on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The literary magazine, Paths of Clover, is accepting submissions of writing and art through Nov. 22. The theme is nostalgia. Students can go to room 201 if they have any questions.

Students who are going to ride a different bus must have their parent or guardian write a note with their name, their phone number, the new bus number and the new bus route number. They have to turn in the note by 10 a.m. on the day they are planning to ride a different bus. 

Seniors participating in senior leadership day should check their Canvas inbox for a message from senior class sponsor Victoria Kirtley on what to do on Monday.

Seniors who still need to order their caps and gowns can do so by going to Herff Jones’ website. Prices go up by $20 after Dec. 15. 

Dec. 2 is the last day to order a yearbook. 

Last week:

Senior Maddy Cheatham signed with Queens University to play soccer.

Senior Clinton Clancy signed with Longwood University to run cross country and track.

Government teacher Rebekah Amato won the John Marshall Center’s teacher of the year award.

Counselor Alyson Rizzuti received the Nov. Educator of the Month award. 

Students and staff wore UVA apparel and other blue or orange clothes on Friday, Nov. 18 to show support for the UVA community following the shooting on campus on Sunday, Nov. 13 that claimed the lives of three of the university’s students.

This week:

Monday (11/21):

Monday is senior takeover day, where seniors will take over the jobs of teachers and other staff members.

Mu Alpha Theta is meeting after school in rooms 415 and 417. 

The step team is practicing in the commons from 3:30 to 4 p.m.

Tuesday (11/22):

There will be a Math/Sci breakfast in the forum.

This is the last day for submissions to the literary magazine, Paths of Clover. This year’s theme is nostalgia and the magazine is looking for writing and art. 

The Girls basketball teams are scrimmaging against Mills Godwin at home. Junior varsity starts at 5:30 p.m. and varsity starts at 7 p.m.

The Boys basketball teams are scrimmaging against Mills Godwin on the road. JV starts at 5:30 p.m. and varsity starts at 7 p.m.

Wednesday (11/23):

Thanksgiving break

Thursday (11/24):

Thanksgiving break

Friday (11/25):

Thanksgiving break

In the community:

Ahead of Thanksgiving, Chesterfield residents can donate to the food bank on their website. The food bank is seeking donations of food or money to make sure people in the county have enough food for the holiday season.